Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Ironman #6 - IMTX

Six months after IMFL, I completed my 6th Ironman at IMTX! It was a training experiment to complete two endurance events, 6 months apart. I enjoyed training with lots of friends, making the hours more bearable.

It wasn't my best race preparation but I planned to have a good day. The morning started with wind and heat, normal for Texas. The swim was uneventful and steady. I started the bike strong. We had a 2-loop course that would take you directly into a headwind, just to return with a tailwind. I started taking water at the handups to pour over my head to cool down. In hindsight, I was not consuming enough water and gatorade to keep up my hydration. By mile, 80-ish I was struggling to keep the wheels up and needed to stop a couple of times to vomit. I knew that I had time in the tank to finish the race, if I could just finish the bike. On the run, I started to experience vertigo when running. It was important to me to finish the course, so I walked.....7 long hours! I'm proud to say that I finished the race, my longest time yet, but one more notch in the belt!

No comments:

Post a Comment